Monday, January 14, 2008

History and Now - Soeharto

What a tiring yet a recharging weekend it was. Sunday is always a wonderful day for me. After going to church, I went for LISC preparation day in NTU (I am staying in NTU hostel anyway). It was a recharging spiritual experience that lasted for four hours to five o'clock in the afternoon. After dinner, I went to sleep and found out that it was 10 o'clock at night when I woke up. What a fulfilling rest it was...

At that very night I started to wake my computer up and journeying together with it to the virtual world of internet. A series of chats with friends welcomed my presence and accompanied me until I ended up reading a news on the visit by MM Lee to Soeharto. Here was the link to the news in Channel News Asia:
He visited the second president of Indonesia, which was laying in hospital in his critical condition. Lately the successor of Soeharto had been sued for its corrupt action before the reformation regime.

I have no idea about the extent of corruption that Mr. Soeharto had performed during his governance in Indonesia. It is also hard for me to understand the sufferings that he had caused to Indonesian society. However I agree with the comment of MM Lee that Mr. Soeharto was a hero of the past that had brought Indonesia to come out from crisis after its independence and he deserved to receive that recognition.

This issue brought me to a reflection of how easy human forgot their history. Even for me, there are many times that I had failed to recognize the companion and care that I had received from others in the past and started to take the current representation of him or her that did not satisfy my expectation as the lasting image of the individual.

Is there not a meaning of the past to us?

No comments: