Friday, February 1, 2008

Defining Memory

Finally it is Friday again. I had been struggling intensely in the previous two weeks. There were a lot of assignments and deadlines, recruitment fairs and of course the unforgettable FYP (Finding Your Partner Final Year Project). It was tiring indeed. However I would not write about the pathetic exhaustion of that busy period in this post.

Last weekend my old friend dropped by Singapore as a transit of his flight from Beijing to Indonesia. Hence I went to the airport to fetch him and bring him around Singapore. During dinner, we engaged in a conversation about our life. A life that I think has been moving very fast. From this conversation, I started to ask myself how vivid a memory that I had during my study in NTU. I am hardly able to express memorable moment during those three and a half years of study in Singapore. Am I not enjoying myself here, in Singapore?

A definite NO will be a correct answer to this. In fact there was a bunch of interesting experiences that I had as a university student in Nanyang Technological University. Those experiences were forgotten because I didn’t appreciate them. In fact, most of the experience, inclusive of studying, is a wonderful experience if we really value the action.

After those reflections, I started to wake up by saying to myself that all the list of things that I had to do that day was something fun. I started to talk to myself that I had to enjoy every single action in my day. As a result, I find my day brighter and happier. I could enjoy doing things more despite my busy schedule. FYI, the method of speaking to your own self is what I identify as “Power of Words”. I will write about this in other post. Watch it out!

Appreciating every action is a way to slow down time and value one’s life more. By defining any activities as something interesting will help us to gain greater joy in our life. However it is good to know the meaning of one’s life as well. Tell me what you think is the meaning of your life?

2 comments:

Ben said...

agree!
i think being able to be in the present is truly a gift.. most people tend to worry about their future too much OR regret what they have done in the past...

nice post and happy blogging! :)

Anonymous said...

that's really something I should learn. there are times, I got tired with my busy schedule and just wanted to flee to some other place. Obviously, there's another way to deal with all these. --S.L